Wednesday, April 22, 2009

annoying FOX

Just recently, we have A LOT of foxes trespassing our garden during the day and "having a party" in our garden during the night! When we first moved into this house in 2003, we always saw the same two foxes walking on our green house roof. I wasn't liking it, so I always send the dogs to chase them off. I don't really want any foxes "live" in our garden to pass some unwanted diseases. Then, I don't see the two foxes for a while, I thought that is great!
We have an odd one every now and then for the last few years but they didn't bother me because whenever the dogs hear them, they will go through the dog flap anytime of the day to chase them off, so I thought we are safe from foxes.
It all started back in October, I kept asking Colin if he has put away the dog toys that I left in the garden and he said No but we lost a few dog toys and some tennis balls. It is so weird. Then, one day I was walking the dogs in the Common and bouced into one of my neighbours a few doors down the road, he told me he keeps getting some strange dog toys in his garden! I asked him what kind of dog toys and when he described it, I thought that sounded like my dog toys! So, I asked if I can go over to collect them. I don't think anyone of us can throw the toys that far. It has to be something to pick it up from our garden then transport it to the other garden, Colin and I thought it could be a bird, well, I guess he is talking about a big bird! Not until I saw that in one of the afternoons that a fox came into our garden, picked up the tennis ball and of course the dogs shot out through the flap and the fox ran away with the ball! That explained it all.
I sometimes have some dog chew lie in the garden, it normally disappear in the morning if I forgot to pick it up from the garden. I guess the fox came in the night to have it. Just recently, these foxes got carried away, they came in our garden to leave their mess, Sizzle and Samber are both crazy about fox poo, they roll and roll, and you can see them enjoying rolling in the bloody fox poo! I got really annoyed bathing them.
This morning, I woke up to find more horrible runny fox poo on my A Frame! Yuk! I need to bleach it down. I am getting really fed-up with these foxes. I actually started to close the flap at night so the dogs can't get out when they hear the noise, I do not want my neighbours to complain about my dogs barking especially it is getting hot and most people leave their windows open, so noise is the last thing you want in the middle of the night.
Maybe I should leave the flap open so the dogs can go and chase the foxes away? But, I can't let the dogs out in my front garden, the foxes poo nearly everywhere in my front garden too! Arrrggghhhh ...
Also, someone told me foxes carry lung worms. Somebody I know that lives locally to me, his young dog was killed by lung worms 10 weeks ago, so that make me feels very unsafe having so many foxes coming in and out in our garden.

5 comments:

Rosie Ison said...

Its not Foxes that carry lung worm..its snails and slugs.Apparently the dog is at risk if they eat them or eat grass that snails and slugs have been across. That is more worrying as my dogs eat grass all the time and we have a lot of snails and slugs round here.

Sara said...

We have foxes around here, but I've only seen them in our yard once. That does seem like an annoying problem. We have to worry about coyotes. I keep hoping our fence will keep the coyotes away from Oreo and Misty.

Do you know how the foxes are getting in your garden?

Diana said...

Im scared of foxes. Several times now in South Carolina we have had rabied foxes attack poeple and kids. I dont think you guys have rabies in England, so thats good. Diana

Vonnie said...

Foxes are a best but where do they go when us humans tearing down their land and build homes on them! We have a few about here (not in my backdoor) - there coming out earlier. Over the past couple of weeks when I have taken the dogs out for a walk between 7-8pm there is a fox running across the road! I am a bit wary of them as I've heard they attack dogs and their vicious! Don;t know what you could do, as they'll get in anywhere! Oh no rolling in fox poo peugh!!!!!! Good luck! :)

Jane C said...

I sympathise with you, I have foxes in my garden most nights and Kai is not satisfied until he has chased them off the premises, usually around 2 or 3 am!