Friday, February 23, 2007

We have another swim star!

I know Sing is an exceptional sheltie, he is such a great swimmer and likes to retrieve in the water. Everytime he jumps in the water to fetch something, the others will bark their head off and yet they only stay at the bank watching him swim away and come back with a stick or a ball in his mouth and try to help him to bring the ball/stick closer to me.

I took Skye for a swimming lesson some weeks ago at Greyfriars Hydrotherapy pool in Guilford but he wasn't keen of the idea (he was very frigthened!). I was very surprised because he is the one that show most interested in water and fetch something out of it.

I thought I will give everyone a chance so yesterday I took Saturn in for his first swim. Obviously he does not like the tiny little jacket. The staff tried to put a SMALL jacket on him and poor Saturn was so tiny under his thick coat, so he can only fit in the EXTRA SMALL jacket! It was very funny to see him wearing such a tiny jacket (chihuahua size).

When the staff tried to take him into the water, he was a bit worried so I have to swim away to recall him from the other end of the pool. I knew he would come to me as he is very attach to me and never like to leave my side at all. The staff lift him into the water and he straightaway paddle naturally and swim towards me. The staff tried to help him to turn when he comes nearer to me just in case his paw will scratch me when he paddles. It was good fun and happy to see another one of my shelties can swim. It didn't take him long to realise he can swim and retrieve. After 2 rounds with assistant, he then started to jump into the water on his own and swim towards me and I help him to turn around and chuck a ball for him to retrieve. I didn't think he would fetch the ball as normally the first swim is very stressful for a dog but I was wrong, very wrong, he swim towards the ball and fetch it in his mouth and didn't let go until I released him.

What a clever Saturn! This is going to amaze his daddy, he thought he would never swim! The staff told me he is such a strong swimmer, I guess she is right. He swam so fast and trying very hard to pleased me.

Here is a video clip of Sing swimming in Mitcham Common:

1 comment:

Chi (Obay Truly Focused) said...

WOW! What a good swimmer he is