Thursday, November 16, 2006

6 Shelties

Many people (well, almost everybody) asked me why did I have so many dogs? The actual reason why I ended up with 5 shelties is all because of my doppy Seagull.

Sing is my first dog, he is such an intelligent, smart and loving companion. He is a dog that easy to train and keen to pleased. I have no trouble at all with him. When I decided to take up a job, I thought I better find him a company. We were looking to get another dog and I expected he will be as good as Sing. Eventhough there is no 2 similar dogs but I never thought there will be a difficult sheltie BUT Seagull proved me wrong!!

He is an extremely difficult since the first day at home. I train him like how I train Sing but it all went wrong. Seagull was a nervous, timid, shy and reserved puppy (he didn't show any of the sign when we went to see him!). It took us 6 months for him to get used to us and the toilet train was absolutely impossible. He messes everywhere he possibly could. He would not go into the garden and if I lay all the newspaper on the floor, cover up most area, he would find the square that I missed!

I took him to puppy training, he hide himself away from the others, he normally straight underneath a chair for the whole lesson. The other puppies were very boisterous and it didn't do him any good, so we didn't go back again after 3 lessons, well, Seagull refused to go into the hall when we approached the venue. I then spent most of my time trying to train him myself. He learned very slowly, once he master a command (for example: SIT), he will not want to learn another one. He is 4 now and he only know SIT, DOWN, ROLL OVER and PAW. This means he took one command a year, what can I teach him a new command to last him another year?

To be honest, I want to be a Good Citizen and I want a well behaved dog. I did got very worried about Seagull not behaving himself. He is not toilet train, we could not go away for holidays, I don't think any B&B or Dog friendly Hotels would liek to welcome us. Going down to mum and dad for Christmas becomes difficult. I can't tell when he wants to go toilet and you can't let the back door open all day in the winter and staying overnight is a nightmare to me. Mum's house is always tidy and clean and I was so afraid that Seagull will choose the non-paper bit to do his business, travelling becomes so stressful.

I spent a couple of thousand pounds on Behaviourist, yet no improvement. I decided I have to give up and let him grow up on his own.

Now, what about the puppies? Yes, after the disappointment in Seagull, he could not possibly do any obedience nor agility or flyball (I did tried very hard taking him training but he let me down all the time) like Sing does, I have to look for another Sing alike sheltie. I knew I can't find another Sing but at least not another Seagull.

Firstly, I wanted a Blue Merle. I've rang nearly 30 breeders but no one will sell me a dog, God knows why? Just because I am not an English!! I then switch my attention to a Tri, I thought if I already have 2 Sables, I can do with a Tri and Blue Merle to complete the family. I found Titan on a website called epupz. We arranged to see Titan the following weekend. Before we went to see him, something pop up, a BIG sheltie! I always wanted a big sheltie, so I didn't want to let go the chance. I contacted the breeder and tell her if she can reserve the dog and I will see him a bit later. On the Sunday, we drove hundred miles away to Cardiff to look at Titan. I wasn't keen, he was so tiny (only 6 weeks old), no white collar, very plain but Colin fell in love with him, so he came home. The next day, we drive another hundred miles to Suffolk to look at Saturn, straightaway I fell in love with him, he has beautiful marking and full white collar, typical Lassie looking and share the same birthday as me, so he has to come home no matter what. 4 is a good numbers and I was very happy and enjoying their company.

Then, my friends has a litter, they wanted to give me one of the boys, this is how Starry come to me. Just as I think enough is enough. Skye pop up! I always wanted a Blue Merle so much but I was a bit worry I could not cope. I still agreed to see the pup. I thought I probably will not buy the pup as a Blue Merle normally are quite ugly (when all the markings are wrong) so I was very confident I will not come home with a pup. When I saw the pup, I knew I was wrong again. Skye must come home. He is such a handsome Blue Merle. How can you let a beautiful Blue Merle get by?

This is the story of how I ended with so many dogs!



No comments: