Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A Happy Jolly Seagull


It has been a week since Seagull has his operation. We went to see the Vet last Monday to discuss if it is suitable for Seagull to try the Tardak treatment, obviously there are some sight effects, such as skin irritation, change his coat colour ... etc. I am not keen to risk the sight effects, so castration has to be done!


I took him to the Vet last Tuesday early morning, the Vet was not in yet. There was a nurse there. I asked her if anything I could help to reduce Seagull's stress but she told me to go home as they are used to handle difficult dog. I told her, Seagull will bite due to his nerve, she reassured me everything would be alright.


It was hearborken to leave him with stranger as I know he will be nervous. He was so tense and panic when the nurse took him away. I have tear in my eyes when seeing him being drag into the kennel. I felt so guilty to put him on the operation table.


I picked him up in the late afternoon and he was still drwosey from the anestatic, he looked so cute and fragile and he was so happy to see me. I took him home and put him in a pen to separate him from the others. I expected him to be miserable but he was quite happy to be on his own.


I was very excited to know if the castration has changed his temperament slightly eventhough I knew this wouldn't be an overnight thing and it may not happen at all.


He didn't go to toilet at all after the operation, I got very worried after he hold himself for more than 53 hours. I rang the Vet to check if this is normal, the Vet told me to encourage him to have a wee. Well, how can I encourage a dog to wee? He wouldn't drink, so I have to force some water into his mouth and still, he would not do a wee!! I fed him chicken & rice for the first few days, surely he needs toilet but NO, he just wouldn't go.


On the 3rd day, I have to take him on the Common, hopefully he will do his toilet and yes, he did both of them happily and I felt relief.


Well, after one week, the castration didn't seem to stop him sniff less, he still mark as many territory as he could but one thing, he is more relax and happy and he trust people better. He is not as nervous as before, he still would not let strangers touch him but if you call his name he will come to you and look at you. I think this is a good sign and he also like to play with the others more and he love be in the pack!
He is now a Happy Jolly Seagull!



No comments: