Wednesday, May 21, 2008

what collar?

I just read in a forum about some people using choke chain/semi choke/slip collar on their shelties. They complain their shelties slip the collar and ran away!
I am very surprised that there are still so many people believes in choke/slip collar! I consider myself a late starter to have my own dogs and when I first have Sing, he wore a puppy collar (those with a hole that you can adjust the size). We went to a brilliant puppy class and I always believe in positive training, so I have no problem of a dog pulling on the lead and slip the collar. When I started to compete in agility 2.5 years ago, I change all my dog collars to the clip type and I always have them loose (big enough for me to put my hand in between). I like it that way because shelties have such a thick coat and I do not want to have it too tight to make a dead hair line round their neck. Walking 5 dogs at a time, I have NO dogs pulling at all, how good is that?
Well, I do have difficult dog that may slip the collar (that is Seagull), if something strikes him, he will get panic and started to struggle, so his collar is slightly tighter than the other but I have my way to calm him down, so I hardly ever slip a collar.
Since I started doing agility, I sometimes wonder, should I rather have a dog that pull on the lead to show some enthusiastic? Unfortunately all my five are as good as gold when walking on the lead!
So, how many of you are still using a choke collar? Does it really help you to shape the behaviour you want?

3 comments:

ADMIRALS TERRIERS said...

Ummmmmmm NO dont use chock collars! Ours have ALWAYS pulled on the lead. I am getting a head collar tho. does that count? not a halty a head collar.

Macfarlane Dogs said...

I just read that forum too Lian. How sad! Unfortunately some people will always rely on these outdated methods :-(

At Crufts this year they were giving people free collars and leads if they would give up their choke/half choke chains. Gr8 idea but I'm not sure many people did unfortunately.

Smudge has a special agility harness, and a normal collar. On the collar he walks fine, but on the harness he pulls like a train as he knows it must be agility time! Just what I want!

Karen said...

mmm no choke collars for my dogs and they all pull like mad !! but they dont pull in their harness, so thats what I walk them in :0)