Wednesday, January 21, 2009

jump and running contacts

As I have been away quite a lot for the last four months plus the freezing cold weather we have lately; I haven't get many chance to do any "agility" training with Sizzle. We started Flyball last week and I have noticed that he is not a natural jumper, so we need to teach him "how to jump" to start with. I have seen from other blog how they teach their dog to jump based on Susan Salo's set point. I have ordered the DVD but it hasn't arrive yet and I cannot wait that long as the dry weather may not stay, so I set up 3 jumps with the 1st and 3rd jump pole down on the floor and raise the 2nd jump pole up a little higher. We have been practised that for a couple of days but with very short session, only 3 to 5 jumps each day. He seems doing alright. I have added two more jumps today, so I raised the 2nd and 4th jump and leave the 1st, 3rd and 5th jump pole on the ground.
I have also struggled to teach him running contact. I have been reading and watching how those famous/top handlers teach their dogs the perfect running contacts. Unfortunately, I find it difficult to apply on Sizzle as I have not done any "walking on the plank" when he was younger. I have taught him "target" separately and the "hit it" board on the floor. The "hit it" board was a mess with him, when he was running fast, he will surely jump over it, whether the board is on the floor or on the plank. With running contacts, you don't want him to slow down, so I have to think of something else. I've decided to add a hoop at the end of the plank to make sure he cannot leap/jump, that seems a little success. Luckily I have taught him the hoop separately too so when I add the hoop today, he realised immediately he has to dive down instead of jump off. I am hoping to keep that running for a while until I am confident before raising the plank.
BTW, I am not lazy standing around, my intention is hoping he will work ahead of me, if that works!
here is our practise today:

7 comments:

Sara said...

Sizzie is having a great time. That is great how he is learning to work ahead from the early stages. I wish I had done that with Oreo. I learn a bit more about this sport everyday!

Chris and Ricky said...

Sizzle is looking really good - the hoop seems to be working for the running contact. Thanks for sharing what you are doing! Mom is jealous that Sizzle loves his ball so much - she wishes I were more toy motivated.....

Anonymous said...

He's a little cracker. Have you ever thought about setting up a YouTube account? You can create videos with One True Media but send them to your YouTube account? I expect you will get a lot more followers there. Please consider it!

Diana said...

wow, Sizzle is fast! Diana

Vonnie said...

Sizzle your such a clever boy and a very handsome boy! Your sister did really well at agility yesterday! First time on the dogwalk did very well, I did have hold of her collar. Going through the tunnel no problem and like you flying through the jumps but only a ground level just now! She's fly though she know's I have food and want go for her ball!!!! too clever!!! Loves the ball in th house can throw it for hours.

Rhoda said...

Hey Lian, Sizzle looks fab! I can't get over how much he looks like Brodie. He looks like hes having so much fun!

Rhoda said...

Hey Lian, Sizzle is looking so grown up now! I can't get over how much he looks like Brodie. He looks like hes having so much fun!