Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sizzle and his running contact

I am still trying to find the right method for Sizzle, I'm kinda 90% sure I do not want to do the 2o/2o with him, unless our running contacts gone horribly wrong then I may have to go back to 2o/2o. Anyway, I am still refreshing his "target"/"touch" separately on a regularly basis, that is just in case we need it. I have also teach him the "hit it" board.
Two weeks ago, I took a plank down and tried to introduce him to run the plank but he was too excited and he leap off before the marking point. After a few runs and a deep thought, I started putting a hoop at the end and that seems to stop him leaping and he learns to dive down at the end of the plank. I didn't get too much practise because the weather was so wet for the last two weeks and most part of the garden is full of puddles!
Luckily the weather brighten up a little bit (at least it is dry so far), so I took the opportunity to take him out to try on the HOOP + HIT IT to see what did we get out of it. For the first few runs, he tried to avoid hitting the board, so he managed to jump over the board and miss the marker point totally! I have to take him in and leave it because I do not know how to handle this error. In my mind, I do not want him to slow down but how could I make him understand he should hit the board at the same time he is running in his full speed?
So, we go back to do the "hit it" board on the ground, we have been doing it inside the house, in the garden, at club ... I have also try to run with him with the board visible ...
Last Friday, I thought we should give it a go to see if he understands the "hit it" board on the contact. I have to take him closer to the plank and show him the board is there and he needs to HIT it to get a reward. Again, the first run, he jump over the board, so I took him back half way through the plank and WALK him down, once he hits the board, I quickly reward him. Unfortunately, the third run, when I put him on the table to run the plank, he actually stops at the board until I throw his ball then he took off. We tried a couple more times and each time he stops at the board. I have to take him away from the plank and board and call it off as that is not what I want. Then, I took him out again after few hours rest, he was so much better but still hit and miss but I only did a few runs and that's it.
We have a weekend off and yesterday I show him the board, I do not know what will I expect but I decided I will run with him to see what comes out. The first run, he kinda stops at the board waiting for the reward but when I start running with him, he didn't even think of stopping. I am going to do more of this trial and error and hopefully we will find the right one for him.
here is our little practise video, the back ground is very noisy, our neighbour is a 0-5 nursery, I like to take the dogs out doing a little training when the kids are out, so they have to learn to work with me with a noisy background:

4 comments:

Sara said...

Sizzle looks like he is having a great time, and is similar to Oreo in his love for his toy!

Glad your weather has improved so you can get outside and practice!

Chris and Ricky said...

In the video it looks like Sizzle knows what he's doing - the hoop seems to work well. And the kids in the background make for perfect distraction training!

Rosie Ison said...

Sizzle is doing really well Lian.

That hit it board looks interesting..would you recommend them and did it come from clean run?

Vonnie said...

Your such a clever boy Sizzle! Ellie is on her way to practice with you as your mum has an excellent training back door! I wish I did, need to get a house with a big garden! Good training technique not seen this one before. Like his sis loves a ball/toy!