Monday, January 26, 2009

a very busy weekend

I haven't have a busy weekend for so long but this weekend past in no time!
We started Flyball training every Saturday now, Sizzle takes the beginners class starts at 10am, eventhough it is an hour's class but we always finish half an hour's later, simply because the dogs having such fun and no one wants to go home! Sing is in the second class, the class for competing dogs, again it was late finished. Then, this Saturday, we have some special training, so we stayed on and we didn't get home until 5:30pm!
Sizzle was very good boy at training, Colin said he was so much better with his footing but I need to have a special reward at the end of the line to keep him motivated. I need to think of something that he really likes. Guy was suggesting a tuggy but my litte Sizzle doesn't like tuggy! That's gonna be my homework, find a rewarding toy.
I think Sing was off colour, he was very slow, not quite himself and unfortunately we got timed for this week! He was on the "high" side, about 5.9seconds (his average time was 5.2seconds when we competed in 2005). Obviously I was very disappointed as I know he can run so much faster than this time. After talking to Colin and other friends that know me and Sing well, they said it could be the general anaesthetic (plus swimming) that affects his performance. He was taken to the vet for hip score on Tuesday and then swimming on Thursday then a two hours hill walking on Friday, that must have been tired him out totally.
I have just read on the Dog World (November 2008 issue), an article wrote by Barbara Thornley, a top sheltie breeder in this country, she said shelties are not particularly anaesthetic friendly and on occassions have died while under anaesthetic. If I were to read this before taking Sing to hip score, I would have passed it, nothing is more important that keeping my dog happy and healthy, I don't want to kill my dog by accident!
Sing obviously was very tired on Sunday but he is looking on a brighter side today, hopefully he will be on form this Saturday and hopefully we get to time again.
I didn't get Colin to video us too much, I have asked him to take some action shots of Sizzle and Sing. I hardly has any photo of Sing doing flyball let alone Sizzle who has never compete before. Guess what? Colin hates taking photo (and video), he did try but all the one that he took of my dogs came out blur or no dog in the picture!!! When I questioned him where is the dog, he said: HE IS TOO FAST! Grrrrrrr
this is Magic, other than Jordan's hand with tuggy on the way, it was a nice photo:

I think this is Weimaraner is the best

now, can you ask him why Sizzle is blur? and this is the best shot of Sizzle!!!!!!

So, after Flyball, we have to rush to Reading to meet up with Colin's friends for dinner. This was planned weeks ago. It was good to see some of his friends that we only see yearly. Tracy always cook wonderful meal eventhough they are vegetarian but I love her cooking. Her desserts were even mouth watering, yummy!

We tried to leave as early as we could as I hate to leave the dogs for long eventhough I have a little friend staying in the house to help looking after them. We got home about 11pm which is not too bad and spent an hour playing with them before we are allow to go to bed! Yes, the dogs are always the "boss" in this situation!

We haven't get any lie-in on Sunday either! We have to wake up early, feed the dogs, give the dogs a long walk then went to see some gorgeous puppies. Playing and watching them are just the best thing you can do.

5 comments:

Chris and Ricky said...

Flyball looks like a lot of fun and we enjoyed seeing the photo of Sizzle even if it was a little blurry :)

We're not happy to hear the Shelties don't so well with anaesthetic (sp?) - my teeth are going to need cleaned in the next year and they use anaesthesia for that. What do you suggest?

Mom's jealous that you got to see the OBay puppies - we have been reading the puppy posts and they are so cute!

Lian said...

Hi Ricky,

After what I have read about shelties are not coping well with anaesthetic and the response from Sing. I will try to avoid any anaesthetic if possible.

Why do you need to clean your teeth? Are they build up with tartar? Have you try "Plaque Off"? They are very good. I used it on all mine and their teeth are pretty clean.

Lian

Anonymous said...

Wow... this Weimaraner boy is all muscle, isn't he? We think the photo of you is all blurry because you were the fastest doggie!!!!

Chris and Ricky said...

I've never heard of Plaque Off - so it really works and it's safe, huh? My teeth have had some stains and some plaque on them since right after I got my adult teeth - and I chew on stuff too! So mom has been worried that I would need to have my teeth cleaned. Seems like small dogs often have bad teeth. So if you really like the Plaque Off stuff, we'll give it a try! Thanks for the advice!

Sara said...

I'm jealous you got to play with the OBay girlies! They are so cute!

I too try to avoid anaesthetics as much as possible. My first sheltie always seemed to take a long time recovering from it, and it made me very nervous.

My vet has cleaned my dogs' teeth without anaesthetic, but that is only because my older dogs are/were very patient and don't squirm. Not sure if it would work with Oreo.