Saturday, July 07, 2007

introducing MERLIN

This is MERLIN, a dwarf lop; our new addition to the family.
Guess you lots must have think I must have gone really mad, 5 shelties + 2 puppies + other dogs to look after and now a RABBIT?? Yes, a rabbit! Well, I never thought I would have a pet rabbit. For me, rabbits are for my shelties to chase when we go out walking!!
I went to Pets at Home yesterday to stock up some dog foods. As usual, I room around to see the animals in the pet shop. When I looked into the rabbit hatch, this little thing caught my eyes! Don't ask me why but I straightaway fall in love with him. I came home thinking of him all night and I told Colin about him, he thought I was crazy and I thought the same but this morning, Colin asked me: "Do you really fancy that Blue Merle rabbit?" I told him yes but I don't think I can have him as we have dogs and we always have other dogs come to stay ... he said I DESERVED a treat and he is going to buy me that rabbit!! I told him we can go and have a look but not sure buying it. We got to the pet shop before 9am and the store was not open yet and I told him we better go back but he insisted we should see and buy the rabbit! Well, we thought we can buy the rabbit and try it, if we do not like it, we can always give it to my friend's children. You never guess we ended up with the rabbit, giant bag of food, a giant bag of woodshavings and a giant rabbit hatch!! Look like we are seriously having him for life!!

The girl in the pet shop told me to keep him somewhere quiet for 24 hours, no human handling, no introducing him to the dogs and do things slowly ... because he is nervous! Well, sorry, I never listen to her. If you want to be my pet, you ought to be outgoing! So, once I got him home, I took him out from the box, cuddle him, make him comfy, used to me, then I let Sing in to sniff and they both sniff each other. I let Saturn in, he is far more interested than Sing. I told them this is Merlin not Bit Bit (I always tell them to chase the rabbit in the Common by saying: Get the bit bit!). I let Merlin hop around in the lounge and both Sing & Saturn watching him. They are every so gentle with each other and Merlin seems to accept the dogs. I then let Skye in to mix with Merlin and he seems fine too. The only dogs that I do not trust are Titan and Seagull. Seagull thought he is now at the bottom of the pack and he hates Merlin where Titan wanted to chase him for fun!! The cat just stared at him!

I am going to have fun with him, start with clicker training, then into obedience, then ... yes, Rabbit Agility!! Yeah!!

4 comments:

helenm said...

Merlin is just gorgeous!I'm sure you'll have him tame and friendly in no time.Have you started training his contacts yet?

katia said...

How nuts do you get!....There is a video on u tube about rabbit agility - boy can they jump!
Katia

A A A =) said...

Wow! Rabbit!!! I am born in the Rabbit year, do you remember? He is so cute and good luck in the training ;)

Karen said...

I used have a lop who used to used the cat flap like the cats, just watch out for the television cables and the wall paper though mine loved them !!