Tuesday, July 24, 2007

who said the new generation of Shelties can't herd?

Who said the new generation of Shelties do not know how to herd?

I think all shelties have their natural instinct of herding, eventhough most of the British shelties are now bred for showing. When I first have Sing, at the age of 10 weeks old, he already showed us he can herd, I took him for puppy training, obedience training, working trial and HTM ... but no one would take a small sheltie for a herding training!! I rang up a few places, all my requests were turn down ... mainly because sheltie is SMALL to herd a sheep!! What?
I took the boys for our usual walk in the Common this morning, we saw a man walking his daughter's big Rottweiler and he was struggling to get the Rottie to put him on the lead. I asked him if he needs help to "catch" the big boy and he smiled at me to say: I don't think you will be able to. Then he tried to lure the Rottie by telling him to come and meet his friends (my shelties), of course the poor soul would not take any notice. I thought for a while and told Saturn to "get it", off Saturn went up to him and I then use another word "round", surprisingly, Sing quickly went up there, so both of them were rounding the poor Rottie, they then joined in by Skye, so three shelties were rounding the big boy, he does not know what to do and Titan was barking mad outside the ring, I thought he looked like a handler in this herding situation. Guess what, the boys push the Rottie closer to us and I asked the man if this close enough for him to "catch" the dog, he was obviosuly amazed by the little shelties. I told the boys to lie down and thank God, they did and being very good. I thought the man should have catch the Rottie by now but he seems lost and don't know what to do, so the Rottie started to chase Skye, then Titan, then Saturn, my poor shelties were scared and three of them suddenly jump up on my arm at the same time. I wish I have a big arm to carry them all!! Anyway, we CATCH the Rottie at last!

1 comment:

Chi (Obay Truly Focused) said...

Wot good boys you have helping round up that naughty Rottie!